Meet Our Team
Our therapists hold qualifications beyond the requirements of the professional bodies and in a range of different approaches and techniques.
As psychotherapists living and working in London, we have become increasingly aware of the challenges and distress faced by many children, teenagers and their parents; distress caused by things such as family breakdown, school pressures, social media and relationship challenges.
We have set up TeenMatters to offer specialist support to those at the beginning, middle and end of adolescence (which extends to the mid 20s) as well as to parents supporting their children through this period of transition.
We are passionate about the work we do and are 100% committed to the people we work with, many of whom say they appreciate the warmth, authenticity, compassion and sense of humour that we bring to our work.
Our Expertise and Experience
As psychotherapists, we have a wealth of experience within a broad range of settings: mental health, psychiatric, corporate and social settings.
We are committed to ongoing clinical development, training and supervision and working as a team to support each other, in order to be able to offer the highest standards of care to our clients.
Liz Straker has been practising as a gestalt therapist for ten years and is committed to working with her clients to bring about fundamental change to their lives. She takes a holistic and systemic approach to her work and believes passionately in the potential of each individual.
As well as working as a therapist for the last 10 years in the NHS, different charities and private practice, Liz has a background in the corporate sector working in HR, talent management and leadership development. She also practises as an executive coach. She is a mother to three teenage children and finds there is nothing like learning on the job!
- MSc in Gestalt Psychotherapy (Middlesex University)
- MSc in Organisational Psychology (Birbeck, University of London)
- Diploma in Adolescent Counselling (Institute of Arts Therapy)
- Post Graduate Diplomas in Coaching and Human Resource Management
- Member of the UKCP (UK Council for Psychotherapy)
- Member of the CIPD (Institute of Personnel and Development)
Margaret Parker is an experienced psychotherapist who is committed to helping adults and teenagers get the most out of their lives. She is particularly interested in helping young people develop the understanding and skills they need to overcome obstacles and challenges they may face. She uses an eclectic approach depending on the needs of her clients, drawing on gestalt psychotherapy, CBT and mindfulness as appropriate.
She is an experienced psychotherapist having worked in many sectors including the NHS, the voluntary sector and more recently in private practice. Prior to retraining as a psychotherapist, she worked as an occupational psychologist in the corporate sector. Her role as mum to three teenagers gives her insight into and hands on experience of the challenges faced by both children and parents.
- MSc in Gestalt Psychotherapy (Metanoia Institute)
- MSc in Occupational Psychology (The Queens University Belfast)
- BA (Hons) Psychology (University College Galway)
- Chartered Occupational Psychologist (British Psychological Society)
- Certificate in Counselling Teenagers (Institute for Arts in Education)
- Member of UKCP (UK Council for Psychotherapy)
- Member of BACP (British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy)
- Associate Fellow and Chartered Occupational Psychologist with the British Psychology Society.
Yoga and Mindfulness Teacher
Katie Burn is a teen yoga, kids yoga and mindfulness teacher as well as a trainee child therapist.
Katie is passionate about sharing with young people how to use yoga and mindfulness as a tool to nurture their minds and bodies.
Classes are equally active and calming and focus on building a lasting foundation of confidence, self-worth and connection.
Katie has over 10 years’ experience working in London schools working with young people to use movement and breath as a means of emotional regulation and stress reduction.
- BSc Psychology (University College London)
- Teaching qualifications in Teen Yoga & Mindfulness, AcroYoga and British Gymnastics
- Post graduate diploma in Mental Health Practice
- Trainee Child Counsellor at the Institute of Arts and Therapy in Education
We are accredited with a range of psychological bodies including:
- The British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP)
- The UK Council for Psychotherapy (UKCP)
- The British Psychological Society (BPS)
- The Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development (CIPD).